The history of Chiba University began with the founding of the Chiba Normal School and the Chiba Public Hospital around 150 years ago. In 1949, Chiba University was re-established and unified with five faculties. Today, Chiba University has developed with 10 undergraduate schools and 17 graduate schools. Its fundamental mission since then has been, as encapsulated by the inscription on the University Bell, ad altiora semper (always aim higher), to equip students with the ability to make mature and informed judgments while nurturing and guiding their creativity. Pursuing these goals of excellence has resulted in Chiba University becoming one of the leading academic research centers in Japan.
Chiba University has been challenging itself to offer the best environment for meeting the needs of the times. For instance, in 1998, Chiba University became the first university in Japan to implement an early enrollment program for high school students. More recently, Chiba led the way in becoming the first national university to establish a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in Japan.